Wednesday 29 April 2015

Person of Not pt2

Final Ideas for A2 post, 3 Postcards and 4 Stamps




STAMPS
These are the final ideas i did for the 4 stamps i was was so pleased with how they looked. Simple strait froward and no editing really needed. I used a dip pen and black ink. Drawing the fist, peace symbol, mic and american flag as these best showed the era Gil had lived in then added afro style curls to the background to symbolise Gil himself.

These are the 4 stamps printed all I did using Photoshop was alter the levels of colour making the black blacker and the white whiter. Very happy with how they turned out. 


POSTCARDS
The three postcard designs i decide i was happy with and scanned them into Photoshop to tidy up and add color. All I did in Photoshop was use the levels to strengthen up the black lines and the white background, then with the eraser tool i took out any imperfections and lines that were messy. 


I split the the images into the main bit that I was going to work with, here they are  in the different layers 








 Adding colour using photo shop made it easier, faster and cheaper and i already had decided that they would be printed on matt paper to keep the colours down.


The final there printed on matt paper at the size 105mm x 148mm. Very happy with these as i feel they look alright, the colours worked, with the right amount of black that each image is not too overpowered by it. I feel my confidence in Photoshop is improving and this is helping me produce work i am happy with and want to make Photoshop a frequent tool i use in my practice. 
No knock

The revolution will not be televised 

Whitey on the moon 



A2 POSTER

With my A2 poster I started out wanting to do a portrait of Gil from the image I had found from early in his career. But wanted to do it in dots (pointillism i think it may be called) as i like the process and as i'm not very good at portraits it would be nice and steady and help me build up the image slowly .
I was very pleased with what i had achieved with this but it dint really say anything about the man it was just a boring portrait attempt. So i decide i need to add him to new york as its one of the greatest places on earth and in the times gil lived hey one of the worst places in the western world. So i set out trying to illustrate how he made a impact on the place.  Deciding on how to do this was not that difficult as when I listen to his poems it was like words of wisdom describing how corrupt and destructive the USA was but he was telling the world of his struggles and ultimately his words spread and must of had a impact on changes that need to happen. 




The New York skyline done using the Poster 6mm nib in a dip pen  and vibrant inks. I then gray scaled these so i could overlay them on each other to make it appear that the gray city was becoming colourful and accepting to everyone. 
Here again using the a 6mm nip and inks I attempted to show his words flowing like a colourful waterfall, these where to be added to appear to be coming out of his mouth.  
 

Using these adjustments playing around with the Levels... and Hue/Saturation helped me get the images to look a bit different then just plain black on his face, i feel the reddish orange gives it a bit more feeling. I decided to leave the eyes blank,  I did add a black and white american flag but it didn't look right at all but them been blanks gives the image a sinister feel. Using the same Adjustment tools to make the colours pop a little more on the waterfall, the water fall with the spray very where i cut down and altered the opacity so it appeared further in the background. 
With the Buildings i just overlayed the grayscaled ones over the coloured one and using the Eraser tool I went changed its Opacity going from 10% -40% to give the effect of it changing colour. 




I am so very pleased with this final piece as i feel it is one of my best pieces of work to date. This could be due to the fact i have used a number of new and different methods to produce this poster. 
The only change i would make now it is printed is maybe the colour out of his mouth i would make it a better transition and work on the level of opacity usd to give the desired effect.   






No comments:

Post a Comment